Saturday, March 5, 2011

A Remarkable Collection: C. E. Toles (1875-1901)


Long-time readers of Yesterday’s Papers will be familiar with my obsession with C. E. Toles, a penman of some genius who flourished circa 1894-1901. Now a remarkable collection of his work has come to light which I have had the privilege of perusing via the magic of email and Picasia’s photo-albums. In short; the life and career of Claude E. Toles is no longer a mystery. Because of the wealth of original and printed art at my disposal it was decided to showcase everything elsewhere from Yesterday’s Papers. I have posted a small profusely illustrated biography of the near forgotten master of comic art HERE.


2 comments:

  1. That is indeed a remarkable collection--and I never heard of the guy before. I am struck by the stylistic similarities between his lions, dinosaurs, and kids and those of Walt Kelly. Could Toles have been an influence on Kelly?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello!

    Como eu havia dito, aqui está o post:

    http://agaqueretro.blogspot.com.br/2017/09/claude-eldridge-toles-1875-1901.html

    ReplyDelete