Saturday, March 5, 2011

A Remarkable Collection: C. E. Toles (1875-1901)


Long-time readers of Yesterday’s Papers will be familiar with my obsession with C. E. Toles, a penman of some genius who flourished circa 1894-1901. Now a remarkable collection of his work has come to light which I have had the privilege of perusing via the magic of email and Picasia’s photo-albums. In short; the life and career of Claude E. Toles is no longer a mystery. Because of the wealth of original and printed art at my disposal it was decided to showcase everything elsewhere from Yesterday’s Papers. I have posted a small profusely illustrated biography of the near forgotten master of comic art HERE.


1 comment:

  1. That is indeed a remarkable collection--and I never heard of the guy before. I am struck by the stylistic similarities between his lions, dinosaurs, and kids and those of Walt Kelly. Could Toles have been an influence on Kelly?

    ReplyDelete